Wednesday 15 August 2007

Flea 'n Cents

So I started a new job this week, and I've been having fun checking out some of the shops in my new neighbourhood. One in particular, which I discovered today (had heard of, but not been able to find the address) is a little second hand goods shop. A second hand shop is probably not sounding terribly exciting to you all, but its a bit of a rarity in Hong Kong. Asian people in general are not particularly big on second hand stuff, they much prefer newer items as they're viewed as a bit of a luxury. Most people don't want stuff that's old or pre-used, otherwise you look like you can't afford new stuff! I am generalising of course, but as a general rule, its true. So....to find a mini flea market around the corner of my office was very exciting. It's called Flea and Cents, and they carry all kinds of designer goods, some new, some vintage, and goodies from all over, that vary in age. They have some amazing looking 1950's lamps in on consignment at the moment, one of which looked like a green ceramic version of a Billy Haines horse head lamp. Veeeery groovy. I wish I had a pic to show you, but I don't, so here is the original that I think it was based on.


8 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

It sounds like you may have found a treasure trove :)

Things That Inspire said...

So interesting to hear of the cultural differences. I recently read about a house purchase (maybe in Dallas?) in one of the mags, and their philosophy was out with the new, in with the old!

I love your header. Is it new, or is it the color of the page that is new?

Unknown said...

You might just have struck gold with finding this store. Maybe you have a new career selling this stuff on EBay. I have found the same thing with the Chinese here in Vancouver especially in houses.
They do not want to live in a house that somebody else has lived in...has something to do with the Feng Shui and spirits that may still reside.

Happy new job!!

Mélanie said...

So great to share this difference of culture .
I would be very sad in Hong Kong not to be abble to go to the flea market or 2 nd handshops.
Mélanie

Suzy said...

Hi POC, I know, but I don't think my husband is as excited as I am by its close proximity to my office...

Suzy said...

Hi Sarah, its so interesting to hear how things around done in different parts of the world. The header and the page colour are new. Glad you like it.

Suzy said...

Hi Patricia, you're probably right about the Feng Shui - I forgot I had read on your website that you are a practioner.

Suzy said...

Hi Melanie, me too - which is why I was so excited to find it!