Wednesday 9 January 2008

The best of NZ

Seeing as you were all so patient with me, ta da! Here it is, one of the articles from Urbis that stuck in my mind most. This twin set of houses, identical in mirror image, designed by David Ponting is located in a lovely bay setting in Auckland. The thing that struck me most, apart from their use of mid-century furniture, and the great design - is just how well each of the dwellings lets in the amazing southern hemisphere light - something I, as an antipodean, only really started to appreciate when I moved to Asia.

The client brief's main specification was regarding the close proximity of their neighbours....hence the high walls to the side of courtyards. I think he's delivered pretty well here, and some.

Even though the space is probably a bit more modern than I would want to live in, I really do love how he's created a light-filled space that is more than just a boring white box (a subject I could write a whole other post about!). Most of the furniture was sourced from Auckland based Flaunt ID - a company founded by an NZ interior designer who has returned from a 7 year stint working as an interior designer for various firms in New York. Basically, she fell in love with American mid-century design, realised there was a lack of said furniture in her home town, so did something about it. I feel another post coming on...

I realise this many not appeal to everyone, but I hope you enjoy!

A Minotti sofa mixed with vintage Milo Baughman chairs and sideboard, vintage horse head (all from Flaunt ID), an Armani Casa side table, and other contemporary accessories make for a fresh modern room with character. Love it!

Together, a Curtis Jere wall sculpture (also from Flaunt ID) and a Frame Lounger in rope by Paola Lenti create a a casual outdoor living space.


From the opposite 'dark' apartment. Chairs by Flaunt ID, along with contemporary rug and a head sculpture in a perspex box. I love the timber panelled feature wall - and that fireplace would be nice and cosy on a cold night in Auckland!

Vandyke dining table from Minotti, vintage french chairs from Flaunt ID, and a Caboche pendant light from Foscarini in the same space.
I really cannot speak more highly of the design industry in New Zealand, and have been inspired to either subscribe to Urbis, or hunt down a retailer here in Hong Kong. I hope to be able to show you guys more of what's coming from the southern hemisphere in the future!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love gazing on sleek modern interiors...I love the furniture. But I could not live comfortably with it because I clutter and I would ruin it.

The Peak of Chic said...

All of the rich woods really makes it livable.

Unknown said...

I love the glass detailing the Architect has done on the Staircase. Thanks for posting this.

Habitually Chic said...

I love the design and the photography! I wish we had this magazine here!

blah said...

Suzie ! Sharp! very sharp! I like it!!

Suzy said...

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you liked it. HC - I did see that Amazon sells subscriptions..so if you are intersted in buying a copy you could do it that way. I am going to see if I can buy an off-the-shelf copy here because having an international subscription for 2 yrs is not cheap...