Monday 14 July 2008

Framing a room

I'm a bit of a fan of bright white mouldings - I think they make a room look fresh and bright - especially those with period details and high ceilings. Adding glossy black doors and a narrow border in the cornice to a room makes all the difference, it adds a modern graphic touch to what could be an otherwise traditional interior. I love how these designers have used borders in the mouldings to literally frame the room.

Two wonderful examples by NY based design firm Marshall Watson - the black border inside the cornice, along with pale coloured walls is such a great look. Photos from House Beautiful.


The technique, used by Steven Gambrel with perfection, looks fantastic in the entrance of this very smart gentleman's apartment.


A very grand room by Eileen Katherine Boyd in a NY showhouse. She has elaborated on this technique by adding a border to the corners of each wall, and along the skirting - truly framing the walls of the room. A stunning result.

A similar concept - Suzanne Rheinstein frames the entrance to her dining room with red grosgrain ribbon. How fabulous! Photo from the Elle Decor book, "Designing Women".

Now, if only my ceilings were this high...!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i've noticed walls framed, like the new york show house, but never noticed the detial of the thin stripe in the molding before, like the gambrel example.

looks like a trick i'll need to try- thanks for bringing it to my attention!

columnist said...

Love them too, but the ceiling height helps so much.....in everything. Do like the door colours - the grey surrounds to the white panels.

Anonymous said...

I am proud to award you the Brillante Blogger Award! Please see my blog for details.

Love, Betsy.

Things That Inspire said...

What an interesting detail...I never noticed it before, although I am so familiar with some of the pictures you posted! It's all in the details, isn't it?

Suzy said...

M21 - I hope you get to use it sometime soon!

Columnist - I agree, high ceilings can make almost anything look good!

Betsy - thank you soo much!! How sweet of you...now how on earth do I narrow my selection down to 7???

TTI - I had seen these pics before too and had not really noticed it - it was the pics of the Eileen Katherine Boyd interior that sparked my memory and then I spent hours searching through old issues to find these again...well worth it I think!

The Peak of Chic said...

I agree with you. I would love to add some type of band or fillet around the walls and trim of one of my rooms. Now if only I could find the time!

Suzy said...

Jennifer, time is certainly an issue for me too! I think I'll save this for my house in Melbourne (with 13 ft ceilings), if I ever move back!

Alkemie said...

Just love the pops of color in the Eileen Katherine Boyd showhouse!

cassandra said...

oh my. that entrance is DIVINE!! i'm loving it.