Wednesday 20 May 2009

Aussie aussi

While I was back in Melbourne I enjoyed catching up on few of the decor magazines that I don't buy regularly here in Hong Kong, namely House & Garden. One spread in particular that caught my eye was the home of the Melbourne-based French interior designer, Jean-Pierre Heurteau. If you remember, he is the designer behind those glossy black floors in a previous post. He is such a character in real life, so it was so great to see a home of a designer that I've actually met. His home is so full of life, colour, and well - flamboyance, that is enough to make any minimalist sick. But I love that he has been true to his personality, and has somehow managed to blend Australian and French cultures together - not an easy task!

As you can see he's used an all white palette for the background and layered it with pieces of different eras and cultures - and so many colours. Who knew that Aboriginal art would look so fabulous with French antiques?

With all those reflective surfaces and silk damasks it would feel like you were living inside a jewellery box!


I love the contrast between the stark white walls and the super dark (black?) carpet, and all that gold gilding. So lush. Yum. It's almost enough to make me want to move back to Australia...

All photos by Shania Shegedyn for Australian House & Garden magazine, May 2009.

8 comments:

mary said...

Glad to see your post this morning.
What a fun house...a bit too busy for me, but wonderful, nonetheless. In such a happy and positive environment, it would be impossible to worry about the economy.

alice said...

It's so inspiring to see homes and designers who can be so bold!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

At first I thought, no, not another flea-market interior! Then I paused, chastened ... the dining room is pretty swell, isn't it? I don't love the table or the centerpiece but something about the room seems welcoming and happy. What a great party could be hosted here.

Suzy said...

Aesthete, how right you are - he should hire out the space - it would be fabulous for parties!

Kinda a little bit flea market-ish, but this man is so stylish in person, and having met him I can see this suits him to a tee!

Unknown said...

i think it's a pretty good example of well done bohemian chic, and i'll gladly go to the flea markets he visits!

nice to have you back blogging, suzy (and when will we see your pretty portfolio pics on your blog? i know they are out there, as i glimpsed them in another venue!)

Unknown said...

I wonder if the desk is a repro of Andre Boulle (I don't remember him doing any desk, then again, my memory has been failing me these days!) or if it is Boulle inspired.

I have to say, there are some beautiful pieces in the spaces you've shown. However, I don't think the juxtaposition of the contemporary zebra skin rug, leopard print textile, deer heads, and antique french furniture works well. I think there is ENTIRELY too much going on.

That designer has very sophisticated taste, but imo (and we know how those go) needs to learn some restraint.

Suzy said...

c - I would normally agree, but seriously, if you met this guy, I'm sure you'd agree it suits him down to the ground. And really, that's all that matters. But there is way too much going on for my own personal tastes too.

Unknown said...

Suzy, the space may suit him well, but I was only criticing the space presented. And for me, good design is good design, and I don't feel this is it. Again, he has very sophisticated taste and (as everyone has said) is great person, but he needs to learn to exercise restraint.

Suzy, I have been following your blog for a little while now and it has become a fast favorite. Glad I stumbled upon it! Keep 'em coming...I started going through withdraws during your absence!