Sunday 16 January 2011

The V&A Reading Rooms

One of my favorite experiences of my recent London trip was visiting the V&A Museum and browsing the amazing V&A Bookshop. I wish I'd gone a little later in the year because in November the V&A Reading Rooms opened just around the corner. The range of hundreds of books on offer combine the V&A's own published works as well as an authoritative selection of tomes on subjects like fashion, design, architecture, photography, graphics and art. Out of print, vintage and early editions will also be for sale. Even more impressive than the selection is that 100% of the profits from the shop goes directly to the museum - practically guilt free shopping!

Great books are not the only thing on offer at the V&A Reading Rooms - there is a small bar providing wine and a menu of snacks developed by Sydney-born Duncan Ackery (of Tate's fame), so you can browse books while sipping a glass of vino!

And to top it all off, David Collins has advised on the interiors! The V&A Reading Rooms are situated in a small and intimate space, with all its original architectural features intact. Check out the pics below - its such a nice looking space.




















The V&A Reading Rooms are located at 8 Exhibition Road London, open 12 Midday to 10pm. I wish I could head over there now!

All photos care of the V&A London.

7 comments:

mosaicology said...

Thank you for this lovely post on V+A, one of my favourite museums in London on the top of my list. I remember the thrill on my first visit there...

Anonymous said...

Golly Suzie, you never cease to amaze me, you are such a fountain of knowledge. Also loved your last post on Hermes, especially since I could only faguely remember that campaign. Anyway, if you like the silver Kelly bag in the last pic you would just adore the mushroom coloured suede Birkin in the window of the Faubourg St Honoré shop... To die for! There is an Hermes private sale this week in Paris, I think I'll pop in but I am sure I won't be able to aford any of it!
Thanks again for all your posts.
Laura

Diane said...

A simply beautiful post... I never push my post but my favorite designer Nancy Kranzberg just did a guest spot on my
blog ( http://www.weallneedalittleinspiration.com/ ) today about using books in decorating.. you might enjoy it...must be a book day!

The Devoted Classicist said...

The V&A has long sold wonderful books, so I am happy to see this outlet where it looks like many more titles are now available.

Simon Rawlings said...

Thank you once again for you lovely posts. Be sure to visit our Facebook page for the latest news.
Simon, Creative Director, David Collins Studio.

Suzy said...

Thank you Simon, keep up the good work over there!

Arianna said...

I love your blog! And we have similar taste :) I live in London and also did a post on the V&A reading rooms! http://ariannainteriors.blogspot.com/2010/12/v-reading-rooms.html

It is amazing!

Arianna x